Community Resources

The following is a list of key District resources to help you with any needs and concerns you may have. This is not an exhaustive list.


311 is a toll-free number that allows residents in the District to Columbia to request assistance with city services and information. This is the first place to go if you have a personal need (e.g. for a fire safety inspection or trash can) or request of a city agency (e.g. regarding a pothole or a rat infestation). The 311 call center is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. You can also place a request online, at For emergencies, always call 911. We recommend you include a photo with your online submission and keep the tracking number.

Note: the DC Fire Department will do a fire safety inspection of your home for free – call 311 to make a request today!

Mayor’s Office of Community Relations & Services (MOCRs)

This office works with District agencies to escalate and address neighbor’s concerns. The MOCR with primary responsibility for ANC 1B is Jerrod Allen, whose contact information is listed below. MOCRs can change from time to time, so please check for updated staff information.

Point of Contact:

Matthew Barclay

Ward 3 Liaison|Mayor’s Office of Community Relations and Services

202.340.7853 Mobile/ Email:

Ward 3 Councilmember Matt Frumin

This office represents Ward 3 and is a key resource for residents. The contact information for the Councilmember’s constituent services staff is below.

Lauren Lipsey | Constituent Services Director

Public Safety

  • Private Security Camera Rebate Program: A rebate program for residents, businesses, nonprofits, and religious institutions to purchase and install security camera systems on their property.

Housing Assistance for Renters

  • ERAP: DC’s emergency rental assistance program for residents earning less than 40% of the Area Median Income (AMI) who are facing housing emergencies.

  • Office of the Tenant Advocate: The D.C. Government agency that provides free assistance on issues you may have with your landlord or other housing issues. This can range from legal questions about your lease to tenants’ rights resources.

  • Inclusionary Zoning: A District program where you can obtain an income-restricted affordable rental or for-sale unit through a lottery system.

  • DCHousingSearch: A website specifically for finding affordable housing units, including non-IZ units that are income restricted.

Utility Assistance

  • LIHEAP: DOEE program to provide extremely low and low-income residents with utility payments.

  • Solar for All: DOEE program provides free solar panels to low and moderate-income single-family homeowners and also allows condo/apartment residents to receive significant discounts on their electric bills through “community solar” programs by signing up.

  • UDP: DOEE program to provide discounts on Pepco, DC Water, and Washington Gas bills for low and moderate-income residents.

Homeowners and Homeowners Purchase Assistance

  • DC Water’s Free Lead Pipe Replacement Program: A free to highly discounted program to replace lead pipes in homes.

  • Rat abatement: Residents can petition DC Health to inspect and take rat control measures on their property or on public property near their home.

  • HPAP: DC’s home purchase assistance program that provides up to $202,000 in zero-interest loans and closing cost assistance to help low and moderate-income residents purchase a home.

  • DC HFA Mortgage Credit Certificate: DCHFA’s Mortgage Credit Certificate (MCC) allows qualified borrowers have the ability to claim a Federal Tax Credit of 20% of the mortgage interest paid during each calendar year.

  • Low-Income Property Tax Abatement: A five-year property tax abatement for certain first-time homebuyers.

DC Public Library

The library offers an impressive amount of free community resources (outside of amazing books!) that you would otherwise have to pay for; here are a few: